OmegaCAM is a 1 square degree wide field, optical, 16k X 16k camera for the VLT Survey Telescope (VST). OmegaCAM has been commissioned Summer 2011 and has started operations mid-Oct 2011. KIDS survey data is currently being taken at Paranal Observatory in Chile and processed by the Astro-WISE consortium in Europe (see also VST portal).
|OmegaCEN||NOVA - outreach||Kapteyn Instituut Groningen||USM||ESO||INAF|
OmegaCAM is built by a consortium of institutes, which in turn coordinate the contributions of more institutes in the following countries:
- The Netherlands: NOVA (see also NOVA Public Outreach), Kapteyn Instituut Groningen, OmegaCEN.
- Germany: Universitäts-Sternwarte München
- Italy: Osservatorio Astronomico di Padova
- The European Southern Observatory
OmegaCAM en VST van start
|medium resolution (3.7 MB)|
|high resolution (16 MB)|
|First images from the VLT Survey Telescope: VST and 268 megapixel OmegaCAM start work [press release: NL | EN]|
Recent Project Information
The Astro-WISE Brochure The Astro-WISE information system was designed for OmegaCAM. This brochure contains descriptions of the Astro-WISE environment and the Dutch and European programme for Astro-WISE in 2008 and beyond.
- Article: OmegaCAM: the 16k × 16k CCD Camera for the VLT Survey Telecope, in PDF format, as published in ESO Messenger 110.
- The OmegaCAM project including Presentations and articles: OBSERVING AND DATAMINING with OmegaCAM
- Collected links for preparing OmegaCAM observations
- Most recent documents on Astro-WISE website
Pictures and Press
- OmegaCAM signing ceremony and ASTRO-WISE Kick-off
- Picture gallery- including video-movie of housing/filter unit
- Press Release (13 March 2002)